Friday, May 28, 2010

Willow Walk

I needed a walk after one too many defining moments at work. Out on Uxbridge Common, it was nice to see an Akita walker, radio controlled helicopter and teenagers all enjoying the warm evening. Across the M40, in the golf course, I had to wait while three drove off from the first tee - their encouraging banter sounded pathetically banal since I wasn't in their zone. Onto the London Wildlife Trust Trail in Denham Lock Lake Wood (really, I saw this tongue twister on a sign) where I asked one of several lurking, tented fisherman what he was fishing for - Carp mate. There are a few forty pounders but they never come out mate! Several great crested grebe, tufted duck and mallard busied themselves as I swept insects from my eyes and mouth. Squeaking cooties swam to the protection of their parents at water's edge while swans were chasing geese behind them. Then I saw a dead carp among willow flotsam, at least twenty pounds suggesting there are some trophies waiting to be mounted.

I emerged onto the Quarry Road and decided to follow it north to Harefield. I'm glad I did. A hundred metres later, under the black, overhung, rain threatening cloud, a little breeze ruffled a stand of big willow trees and the catkins popped a snow of cotton. It was beautiful in the evening light. Tinkerbells or fairies, they littered the lake surface.

Back down by the climbing walls in the leisure centre and once more across the golf course before passing Denham Deep Lock, the deepest on the Grand Union Canal. I even crossed paths with Snow White on my way back; are we all power walking in fear of the big one? I was out for 2 1/2 hours and covered 12.7 km, stopping often to take pictures or just enjoy the scenes.

Thanks to Dave & Rona.

No comments:

Post a Comment