Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rockery Envy

The first thing I saw after I walked up to Curtlestown Wood were some Sika deer. They were as surprised by me as I was by them. I came across three groups of them in the next hour, all grazing on the edge of the managed pine forests. Yesterday I went south to Djouce, today north, back to the start of the Wicklow Way in Marlay Park. And again, there were not too many people but was I wearing a Mr Helpful sign? Two German hikers stopped me in Glencullen and asked me the way to Glencullen. Two tired women resting in the heather, sipping tea from a thermos needed to ask me for a shortcut back to where they'd parked their car - sorry, but it would help me if you told me where you parked it. Miles later,  a Mercedes pulled up, the window slid down and a very frustrated man demanded to know the way to the Fairy Pod. The Fairy Pod, you must know the Fairy Pod? 

Why do foxgloves grow (and in such profusion) in the clearings after trees have been felled? Suggestions in the comments box please! The granite pathways and standing stones always inspire me to continue improving our front garden.

My only stop was in Marlay Park to rest for a short while and pay 3 euro for a 99. I had been dreaming about a swim and arranged to be collected from the road. They brought me to Sandycove where the sea water was terrifyingly and painfully cold but so refreshing. I was sore and stiff after walking 29 km but the recovery period was probably shortened by the immersion.

HOW ABOUT SPONSORING £58 FOR 29 KM

No comments:

Post a Comment