Friday, June 25, 2010

Fray's River Rail

Feeling a lot better today, I headed straight out into Friday's traffic choked streets after work. Wrong move, wrong direction. I looped back to the Frays River where I'm pretty sure I saw a Water Rail for the first time. And then doubled back up to Uxbridge Common, round the back of a cricket match and up the former Hillingdon ski slope where the nylon bristle surface still pokes out from the overgrowth. Then back to the golf course and along the London Wildlife Trust Trail, around the lake where Black Poplar cotton littered the ground. A bird hide had a pencilled list of birds that was depressing because I identified more bird species in ten minutes than were listed after six months (and no, I didn't add my comments because someone had borrowed the pencil since the last comment by A. Bird last week).

An encounter with ten path blocking horses in the trees added a small detour. Another with a group of curious heifers gave me pause for thought.

I had covered just under ten km by the time I got back to Uxbridge. One item easily overlooked - the local paths have been trimmed passable again - thank you to whoever does this.

SPONSOR 10 KM FOR £20

No comments:

Post a Comment