Saturday, June 26, 2010

Three Walks

First, there was the unusual 250 m Heathrow T1 indoor event. Walking from gate 84 to 72 and back and back and back and back and back and back and back, about as boring a 2 km indoor walk as reading this description of it. I was finally stopped by the arrival of my plane and the closing of the security doors that prevent incoming and outgoing passenger exchanges. Sill allowed in the Gold Circle, I enjoyed a cup of green tea and some fizzy water after my 'workout'.

Then the Congo came into my day. All because the Dalkey Blue Bus from the airport (keep up, we're off the plane) was another 30 minutes so I hopped on the immediate Ballsbridge bus with WIFI. We got stopped behind a Congolese refugee demonstration. I think it was to highlight the consequences of war; the missing, the raped and the child soldiers but there were too few people and posters to be sure. I abandoned the bus and the nearby camouflaged Congolese security guards and walked 2 km to Holles Street where I was rescued and delivered home.

And finally, a delay in PM plans opened up the possibility of a two hour walk. Having felt poorly all week, I had dropped enough training that I grasped this chance with open arms. I decided to stay close to home and simply walked down and up to sea level a few times. I enjoyed seeing tots of trees and flowering plants that represent personal achievements in their gardens but add to a regional arboreal and botanical marvel. I picked up some bluish tinged beach pebbles that look like Ailsa Craig granite, brought two hundred kilometres south by long melted Irish Sea glaciers. One geeky improvement has been the release of the new iPhone operating system iOS4 that allows multitasking for the first time - now I can use the camera, the phone, text and Walkmeter apps all at once. I dropped down to see St Augustine but as ever, he wasn't there (The Dalkey Archive). I made it back in time for a shower, a burger and a trip to see Shrek in 3D where I ate ice cream and gummy bears - why not?

14 kms plus the 2 in Heathrow and the 2 in central Dublin means another 18 km knocked off the training challenge.

PLEASE SPONSOR THIS REPORT FOR £36

No comments:

Post a Comment