Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Where do I go now?

Everyone else was busy but I needed to clear my head so I wandered out of the office with no real destination in mind. Uxbridge has history. The Royalists and the Parliamentarians spent a month in negotiations here in 1645 and produced the Treaty of Uxbridge which failed to end the first Civil War. As I walked past the Crown and Treaty pub used by the negotiators, I  remembered a path from a map that went near a moat and a coppice I'd never visited. 

Fate or coincidence, I found the path and I walked over a map. I mean that somebody had dropped a map, just one worn A4 page of this area. So I picked it up and followed their pencil ticked track. Nothing exciting but it reminded me of the man who travelled from place to place, working for his keep, staying only until he would ask 'Where do I go now?' This map took me along the Colne Valley Way, well overgrown, through fields with lots of horses. The moat was a bit far to the south and off the marked path. Another day perhaps.

At the intersection of the M40 and M25, the traffic noise replaced the crackling of the high tension cables I'd followed for a good part of the way. The 'water, water' in The Rime of the Ancient Mariner sprang (sic) to mind when I thought about all that power overhead and no way to charge my iPhone.

6.8 km walk that did more damage to my blisters so that I must let them heal. That's OK. I can take a short break. I've only 300 km left to walk in training.


SPONSOR ME6.8 KM

No comments:

Post a Comment